Sunday, May 4, 2014

Plant Husbandry

A couple of weeks ago I received this Calla Lily as a gift from one of my students.  Whenever I get a plant for a gift, I'm always very appreciative but also feel a sense of dread because I'm most likely going to kill it.  I like plants, especially ones with flowers, but I'm terrible with them.
Anyhow, I brought this lily home wondering what the heck I was going to do with it...I don't ever know what to do with them.  So I set it on the sink.  Funnily enough, in the exact same location of a plant I was given to take home from a funeral a few weeks back.  The spot was empty because that plant had, in fact, died.  I gave it a drink of water and every few days since tell it how surprised I am it's still alive.
While I was cleaning up the kitchen after cooking this evening I realized that it's been two weeks and my Calla Lilly is looking good!  It hasn't been droopy, or dry, or yellow, or let's face it, dead at all.
 Lilies have not ever been a favorite of mine.  They do remind me a bit of funerals.  These however are quite pretty, colorful.  I didn't know they came in colors other than white.   I have even found two new flowers - one pinkish-white and one deep red.
I feel like maybe I should take the decorative paper off or plant it into something other than the plastic container it's in.  But, at this point it is probably best to just let things be and not get too arrogant over my success.
I did read that the look of death is imminent with this type of plant, no matter what.  I'm glad I learned that because I'd probably chalk it up to my ineptitude and get rid of when it starts to yellow.  I might even try to save the root system and replant in my front yard next year.  We shall see.

9 comments:

  1. Imminent, not bit of it. It's a big plant though. So I'd you want it being if into the shower. Preferably in the shower. If you're aren't one who needs the shower to scald you. Eitherway,in or out. The steam will do it all the good in the world. Ideally, if you had a pond in the garden. But the shower will do. A wet room better still.
    Oh, they've gone and renamed it. Twice, since it was known as a calla lily, arum first, now Zantedeshia. Same thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have one clue what this is about 'It's a big plant though', it's all auto-correct on the tablet through half opened eyes.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! It's early there. :) Everything I've read said they go into a dormancy period and look like they're dying. That's not the case?
      I don't know about the shower. I understand it likes the humidity, but what a bummer to just be stuck in there. It's a darker room of the house, so wouldn't the lack of light counteract the shower? This is probably my problem with plants...I just want them to look nice without a lot effort. I don't want to have to shower with them. :)

      Delete
    3. No, not really. Even in relative dark, the ambient light will be more than enough for it to flourish, where you are. If, there's any sort of window of any size at all. That's valid for any plant other than from an actual desert plant where you are.
      In truth, it would be very hard work to grow houseplants well or at all outside of the shower room. You'd need to run a drip system to keep them hydrated, for the sheer absence of humidity would draw H2O out of a pot almost as quick as you pouring it in.

      Delete
    4. Yah, I'm sure the lack of humidity is one factor contributing to my black thumb. I do have a small cactus/succulent garden that I literally do nothing with and it always does well.

      Delete
  2. yay on the still living plant.. I have owned and killed a total of one plant.. i blame the 2 and a half week vacation I took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes vaca is rough on them isn't it?!?! Someone once told me to put the plants in the yard so the sprinklers can still water them while you're gone. I did that once, and someone stole it.

      Delete
  3. It's a bulb plant like a daffodil or tulip. Grows, looks pretty and "dies" off. Just snip the stem and put it outside or garage until next spring. You can even take the bulb out and put it in a cool place and replant it again next spring...or Jan of Feb for So Cal....plant it so the widest part is down, like a tear drop.

    Yay for the hardy plant :)
    Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok! I might try it if it lasts that long.
      We had TA Week two weeks ago, hence the plant. I hope you have a nice week! :)

      Delete